Tesla Government, Inc.
(Tysons Corner, VA, but can be entirely remote)
Tesla Government, Inc., a small government contractor in Tysons Corner, is seeking a temporary editor to join its editing team full time through the end of August 2020.
The Editor works under the direction of the Tesla Senior Editor. The Editor will edit research projects, marketing materials, and presentations in various digital formats. They will perform a wide range of editing tasks, from proofreading to substantive editing and source checks. They must work well with writers, both editing and communicating standards to help writers produce high-quality products with regular and rolling deadlines. The Editor will also help update and maintain the Style Guide and train writers to follow it.
Essential duties and responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Edit research projects, marketing materials, and presentations in various digital formats
- Perform a wide range of editing tasks, from proofreading to substantive editing and source checks
- Collaborate with a team of writers to produce high-quality products with regular and rolling deadlines
- Help update and maintain a program style guide and train writers to follow it
- US citizenship and eligibility for a security clearance
- Excellent English reading, writing, and editing skills, including the ability to proofread at the sentence level, logically organize large amounts of information, judge sources and the accuracy of source presentation/characterization, and guide researchers/writers in doing these things
- The ability to gain and keep writers’ trust through effective and constructive critical feedback
- The ability to master complex concepts simply by reading about them
- Interest in world news, area studies, international relations, humanitarian affairs, and/or military affairs
- Curiosity about subjects familiar and unknown
- A dual obsession with quality and efficiency
- Understanding of the satisfaction that comes from finding the right words to express an idea
- A bachelor’s degree
Other qualifications that would receive favorable consideration:
- A degree in English, journalism, writing, writing pedagogy, etc.
- A degree in international relations, area studies, etc.
- A degree in library science or knowledge management
- Experience living and working in multiple countries
- Experience working with the federal government
- Fluency in one or more foreign languages
- Experience teaching writing or teaching courses with a substantial writing component
- Experience editing the work of writers who knew significantly more about their subjects than you did
- Experience fact checking or performing deep editing by reading sources
- Experience determining the level of editing a written product needs
- Knowledge of/experience in graphic design or document design
Benefits and incentives:
- Meaningful work
- Intelligent, knowledgeable colleagues
- Potential for ongoing part-time work after the temporary period
To apply, please submit:
- Your resume
- A cover letter of 200 words or fewer that provides information not found in your resume on your qualifications, your interest in this position, or both
- A sample of your editing
- A recent news article on an issue in the Middle East, Africa, or Central Asia that you find particularly well-researched and well-written
Tesla Government Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
To apply, please visit the following URL:https://www.freelancewritinggigs.com/job/editor-area-studies-international-relations/→